<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Another life 

I've been in a state of barely suppressed excitement, almost glee, this past month and a half, because in about three days I'll be performing in a musical at the Old Vic.I used to do a lot of theatre back in college (university) and I even put my pen to paper and wrote and directed a short play as part of our theatre festival. Since turning into a corporate drone, I've become one of those bores who "coulda been a somebody" had I not sold my dreams for a steady paycheck. Now, given the chance to perform on one of the most historical stages in the world, the mind reels.

As with many things I have Van to thank for this - she suggested I put my name forward for the open auditions. I can't stress how low my expectations were when I first walked into that audition room and saw professional and semi-pro actors all stretching and flexing, preparing for what turned out to be a DANCE audition. F*ck me! I wanted to slink quietly away.

But somehow, I got the callback, and passed that one as well, and, two months later, here we are... tech rehearsals for Branded at the Old Vic.
50 people in plastic... just your typical Wednesday afternoon...

I wish I started blogging about this AGES ago. As it is, it's been a whole month of juggling work and rehearsals, getting to meet some fabulous people (and wrestling with stage management), and quietly telling my friends about how this corporate drone got to live a piece of the dream.

Comments: Post a Comment



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.





We only listen when we are ready to talk. We only talk when we can no longer stay silent.


links



archives



Search the archives here. (This opens a Technorati search)