<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Revisiting 



This weekend, I traveled up the Great North Eastern Railway to Edinburgh for the jazz festival. I would stay for a day and a half in this city before traveling to Newcastle, place of my last EBT assignment, steeped in nostalgia and remembrance... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Got in at about 1pm, just in time to catch a mexican lunch, check into the Edinburgh Backpackers' and score a coffee and a couch at the local Starbucks where Fiona Mcdonald (a local blues singer with a voice like smoke, as all good blues singers do) had a couple of sets, remarking that "this is the quietest coffee house I've EVER been in."

A young girl sat down in the comfy seat in front of my own, erm, comfy seat and began to sketch. Later I realized she was actually sketching me. By the time the second set ended, we had struck up a conversation. I hope her computer finds this blog

Later in the evening, after casting about for a suitable gig, I found myself at Henry's Jazz Cellar enjoying the discordant wailings of the Peter Wettre five. The quintet was very talented, none more so than the drummer, who practically faded into a blur of sticks as the set progressed; but the pianist was a bit too, well, "kalat" to be enjoyable. Peter Wettre himself, who looks like a tall nordic Fred Durst, handled his alto sax duties just fine.

The show ended at 11:30. Crowds were forming at all the usual clubs; the leather-and-eyeliner goths started to stir from their perches; B-boys and cruisers were starting to get rowdy. Saturday night in any uni town is remarkably familiar; testosterone and sexual desperation always hangs in the air. I decided to get an instant noodle dinner and beat it back to the hostel for the night.

...

Comments:
Sounds like fun. Awesome picture though, wish it where a bit bigger.


Random comments comin' at ya! =)
 
Post a Comment



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.





We only listen when we are ready to talk. We only talk when we can no longer stay silent.


links



archives



Search the archives here. (This opens a Technorati search)